Friday, April 27, 2007

RL lessons for all of you

Since I am playing my rogue extensively (and yes I like it, close to lvl 67 now), I started to read about them as well as I did with all other classes I played. I like to read about the class, I like to understand the class and want to know how the mechanics of that class work. While reading, I stumbled upon www.worldofming.com . This is a guy who plays a rogue and writes lots of nice articles about it from a technical as well as a pvp- and personal perspective. This is drawn from his last article.

------
As for people who believe they need to quit WOW completely to get anywhere in life. I thought so too when I retired 10 months ago. But to be honest, I didn’t get anything done during the time I was away. If you lack the self-control to prevent a game from ruining your life, it is unlikely you will get very far to begin with. Do what makes you happy, and everyone will move on when the time comes. I will play this game until Blizzard forces you to raid to be competitive in PVP. I learned the hard way that quitting this game without a real purpose only makes you waste time elsewhere.
------

This is exactly how I think about it and I could not have said it better. WOW does not destroy you or your life, You do!

I know a lot of people think they play too much and somehow feel guilty about it and feel they should quit the game to do ‘real important stuff’, while they are actually having a good time while playing. Now why on earth would that be a bad thing? How can ‘having a good time’ be a bad thing? How can social interaction with friends or just a place to chill be a bad thing? The answer is: it isn’t a bad thing!

The fact that you are playing WOW instead of doing homework (as an example) has nothing to do with the game WOW. If WOW wasn’t there, you would still delay it and do other things, because that is who you are as a person. I delay stuff at work because I am reading WOW-related stuff, but before WOW, I was delaying workstuff by reading MTG-related articles and tourneyreports and before that I was reading chess-/snooker-/pool-/comedy-/etc./etc.stuff. Before I wasted worktime on my blog, I was writing articles for a dutch website.

It is me as a person who is doing that.

And I feel good about it as well.

Do you?

------
“Do what makes you happy, and everyone will move on when the time comes.”
------
Thanks Ming, that is indeed what I will do.

-- Zhero

PS: As this might be heavy for a friday, let me add this content which I received from Milker for a lighter note. (Hood gets owned)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Astral recall blows :(

fucking great joke though haha

14:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the dude you quoted zhero, seams like one of few inteligent "wow writers".

That was a brilliant trick veritha pulled on hood, would have been so cool if he dident have astral recal :)

06:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rly nice lesson and yeah he tells it like it is!

if only ppl would see further then something influencing their life as they are in full controll of it!

jur out

15:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home