Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Duelling is no fun

[MASSIVE WHINE]
What is it with people? Why is it hard to say ‘gg’ when you lost a duel. It does not seem hard to me, but when I was duelling a little yesterdayevening (I am not much of a dueller, though I have a lock so people die automaticly) I noticed it again. Excuses, whine or even the remark that you suck after you beat people. Telling someone that he played well, seems impossible.

Even on lower levels this happens. Now that I have all BG-items with Zhero, I don’t HAVE to BG anymore so I was flying around Terrokar/Skettis (I do the shatari skyguard quests every now and then) looking for a gank. Somehow no alliance showed up apart from a lonely 63 hunter (I killed him anyway. Honor=honor), so I logged onto my 33 female druid to get some quests done. While I am waiting at the zeppelin, this 37 priest wants to duel me. I accept and off we go. While he is throwing shadow word:pain and mindblasting me, I am doing a few attacks in catform and when on 60% health I shift and heal myself full. Now I am not sure at what level priests can dispel (ah fuck it: let’s look it up…..done: lvl 18 it is) but all my HOT’s stayed up as well as my MOTW. He goes oom after some time and I finish him up. Awaiting the ‘well played’ cause I had the idea I did it all well, he spoke some other words.

“I only played with you a little”

Now what is that supposed to mean? You mean you were not duelling seriously? And did you make that up before or after you started the duel, before or after you saw that you were going to lose? Pfff, how hard can it be to just say ‘gg’? Being the mean bastard that I am I responded with:

“That is ok, I had a phonecall anyway and had to play with one hand”

I guess it is human nature just to search for explanations as why we lost. Just stand outside Orgrimmar (I bet Ironforge is the same) and watch a little. You’ll find the following sentences:
- “You resisted my counterspell”
- “I had 5 seconds lag”
- “Without that pet, you are so dead”
- “Duh, with your gear and still I got you on 30%. Owned!”
- “Roflcoil and fear, pfff try to win with skill”
- “With that noobspec, everyone can win”


I hate that last one the most. I am 27/34 spec which happens to be the easiest spec for 1v1 (as well as fitting in my arenateam, that’s why I have it) and full frost mages accuse me of having the easymodespec. So what do you mean? Casting frostnovas and icelances requires more skill? You’re the better player, cause I use an overpowered class and an overpowered spec. Why duel me in the first place then? The answer is simple. They want to duel you, cause they have nothing to lose. If they win, it shows how awesome they are. If they lose, it means nothing, cause they are meant to lose. They will say something because it must show for everyone (and especially themselves) that your win was meaningless.

Szwok told me he duelled on his rogue some time and was beating up a warrior time after time. That guy started with “you can’t use vanish” and after “you can’t use poisons”, “you can’t use blind” , “you can’t restealth” and “you can’t use stunlock” was left with daggering him from the front while taking overpowers and mortal strikes.

Try and say ‘gg, well played”. It’s not hard, really. Special mention of Aurinko here. I was duelling this retribution paladin on my rogue and lost. Awaiting the ‘noobrogue’-remark he came with: ‘thanks for duelling, well played’. He made me walk away with my head up and my back straight. Thanks for that! A true paladin.
[/MASSIVE WHINE]

-- Zhero (at work and bored. stuff to do, but no lust to do it)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

QFT

Mort

13:50  
Blogger Daymare said...

Once on my shammy i owned this warlock, after the duel he said - You healed yourself! then ran...

And oh yea, QFT...

15:59  
Blogger Artanias said...

you know a counterspell resist does suck :P

but yea i agree

16:06  
Blogger Muda said...

You never know when a car drives up your ass.

Only sentence that remained after "crap" censorship.

-Muda

20:46  
Blogger Zhero said...

Wow muda, did i step on your toe or something?

23:22  
Blogger Nimp said...

Its true that when you duel you get loads of crap when people lose against you.

I have played the easymode 27/34/0 spec (warlock) for some time now, think i even was one of the first before every other warlock had it, and its fun to just rape every other player with it, but requires 0 skill, the good feeling when you win goes away after some time and you get bored with it.

Now a few days ago i specced destruction, its completely different to play and actually requires skill (w00t??) now when i duel and lose vs a certain class and win the next duel it makes me feel even better than always winning, cause now you actually feel like your learning stuff and since this build isn't as forgiving as the easymode build you gotta adapt your tactics to the other player play style.

But there are situations where you just cant win unless your extremely lucky, which gets annoying after some time, dueling, losing, thinking about what went wrong, dueling, losing, etc.... only to find out your not doing anything wrong its just impossible. And thats what get on your nerves or at least makes me wanna pull my hair. I wont give up but at least from time to time you just vent your anger at the class your dueling.

But then again, we shouldnt be whining because 1 vs 1 PvP hasnt been balanced for what?? 3 years now? :P

Nim

13:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, too true. A couple of experiences spring to mind.

Playing my (holy with only SoC from retri) paladin ~ lvl 47, a 49 twink warrior comes up and challenges me.

Round 1, I win - "You healed!, you can't heal, thats not fair"

Round 2, bubble to break charge stun, I win - "You bubbled!, that's noob"

Round 3, I let him charge, don't heal, don't bubble, I win. He came up with some other excuse to which I replied "maybe you want me to fight barefisted?"

Standing outside Orgrimmar with my Holy Priest, random rogue comes up to me, inspects me, says to himself "ahh, all +healing, no +dmg". Duel flag pops down -_-

14:10  
Blogger Muda said...

No toestepping, just that I rarely duel now that I am resto. Takes to much time, and all the healer classes + locks I can just forget about if they know a bit about healing themselves.

-Muda

(Still remembering that time in AB where I went against a T3 hunter and won(feral)).

19:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice piece man, yeah i agree it aint no fun anymore. Only duelling vs respected other duellers: Setsunai Aurinko Woks Harmonia. Seriously i aint intrested in lag / gear diff / resist / general / spec excuses or whines. P|pl who forbid me to use any talent that would break the them. Q_Q m8s.

Yeah i remember those days of duelling in kargath with certain guildies where i wasnt allowed to use anything. Haha so much fun the old days. PS that war outgeared me 3to1.

Blizz didnt build the game for 1v1 i am looking forward to a game where individual skill will matter. Looking back on daoc and the switch to wow i allways missed that! Now with arena it matters a bit. But still in every format (2v2 3v3 5v5) 1 person frigging you up will allmost everytime result in losing.

gratz on the piece i never read untill today :p.
/szwokkie out

PS never thought art would say that, rofl.

13:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home